Sunday, June 4, 2023

Lens Replacement

Early in my retirement, I had laser eye surgery, so I no longer wear glasses for distance. But I do need reading glasses.

I buy inexpensive ones for about $5. When they break, I sometimes buy identical ones.

A while back, I mentioned to an optician that I throw out a lot of cheap reading glasses every year.

Oh, don't throw them out! she said. Keep them. You can use broken ones for spare parts if another pair breaks.


I've been keeping my broken ones in a box in the basement ever since. I mostly "harvest" screws if they fall out.


But recently I discovered a scratch on a lens of a pair I use a lot. Could I find a lens the same size in my "broken" stash? YES! I lucked out, finding an identical pair with unscratched lenses. I've often seen opticians pop lenses in and out of glasses. Could I do that, too?!


After watching a few instructional clips on YouTube, I succeeded! My container of broken glasses saved the day! (... As well as a couple of bucks and a trip to the store!)

No comments:

Post a Comment