Friday, October 18, 2013

Second Pottery Class

Second pottery class! This is what the wheel looks like before I begin!














This is what it looks like when the class is in full swing, and I've just removed my latest attempt at a "cylinder" - i.e. any round hollow object, like a vase, mug or bowl!














One memorable moment was spilling a basin of water all over the floor. Fortunately the water was clean - I had just replaced the dirty water. (I accidentally bumped it when I put down my bag of clay - the large brown package on the right.)














I spent some class time mopping! (There are a lot of mops around!)














This time I made four pots in my attempt to learn how to make "cylinders." Two turned out more or less even and and two ended up wonky again! On the plus side, the instructor said that he wants us to have less than perfect vases and bowls to practice our glazing on.  

No point it ruining a perfect bowl with imperfect glazing, he says. That's encouraging! (I'm good at imperfect vases!)

Every time one of us messes up, he tells stories of his own pottery disasters. All this reminds me of a Jewish proverb: A perfectionist doesn't make a good teacher. This guy is really relaxed! He doesn't expect us to be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment