Friday, September 11, 2026

Dreaming...

I recently came across an interesting quote, attributed to Gloria Steinem...











"Dreaming is, after all, a form of planning."

I had never thought of it that way...

I'm thankful that, as a child, I had time to dream and to do my own thing. There were very few planned activities in the villages where I spent my earliest childhood years. Our family attended church and I probably attended Sunday school, but my only memory of either was a candlelight Christmas service when I sat with  older kids in the dimly lit church. (So exciting being with the "big kids.")

Later, living in the larger town of Red Deer, Alberta, my best friend Jean and I regularly attended Friday night movies.

My most vivid movie memories were of war-time Europe and exotic tropical places ("Island in the Sun"). Novels I read also made me curious about the world.

So it's probably no surprise that I headed overseas when I was 19 - to discover what was over there - and later moved across the continent to live and work in Montreal, where I hoped to become fluent in French.

Childhood dreams prepared me for the path I eventually took. Those dreams unknowingly became my plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment