Friday, November 2, 2018

Virginia Creeper - is Toxic?!

Our yard has an abundance of two native vines that return year after year - wild grapes and Virginia Creeper.

Every year, we pull them out - and every year they return...

In fall, the Virginia Creeper turns red - so it looks pretty.

But I had no idea that it could be toxic.

When I told my friend Janet about the terrible rash Terry had for several weeks after clearing thistles out of a neighbor's yard, she replied: That sounds just like the rash one of my friends gets from touching Virginia Creeper. She claims she can roll around in Poison Ivy, but whenever she touches Virginia Creeper, she gets an itchy rash. And every year the rash gets worse...





So maybe - just maybe - Terry's July rash was from Virginia Creeper.

In any event, I will make sure that I never pull any out unless my body is well covered - and I'm wearing gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment