Sunday, February 19, 2017

Reflecting on ... "Stability"

One of my goals, when I retired, was to travel. Another was to study the history of Christianity. (I've done both, so I can't complain... in case this sounds like I'm complaining!)

Hawaii is my favorite winter destination. If I could escape winter again this year, that's probably where I would head!

In my religious reading and studies, I've been mulling over the Benedictine way of life - named after Benedict of Nursia, the 5th century "Father of Western Monasticism," who wrote a famous "rule" book for living peaceably with others.

One of his principles is "stability" - being rooted, not running around looking for a better place to be. Just staying put.

I'm not ready to stop traveling, but this winter, my normal travel companions aren't willing to go anywhere, so I've been left wondering if I should travel alone, like I used to. Or focus on staying put, on "stability."




No comments:

Post a Comment