Friday, February 10, 2017

Failed Recipe: Corn Crisps

A while back, I came across an interesting recipe for homemade crackers made of oatmeal crackers. Looking through my cookbooks - and even online - I couldn't find it!

(Was it perhaps in an old recipe book I tossed?! As my mother used to say, You never need something until you throw it out!)

But I found another recipe for "corn crisps" made from water, cornmeal, butter and salt, so I tried it instead...

Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in 3/4 cup of water till the butter melts.

Then add 1/2 cup of cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon of salt - and stir. The mixture will thicken.




Drop teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. (I used Silpat and parchment paper, so I didn't coat the cookie sheets.) Bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.










When I realized that the first pan full wasn't going to flatten on its own in cooking, I flattened the second batch.










The result? A soft (not crispy) cornmeal blob... Very bland. Not a flat cracker. Fresh, they tasted like cornmeal baking powder biscuits.

If I were to make them again, I'd add herbs, spices and Parmesan cheese to the batter. Then I'd bake them in larger mounds.

Then they'd be cornmeal biscuits - with no baking powder added.

No comments:

Post a Comment