Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Up and Down the Slippery Slope of Change

One of the things I remember about babies and toddlers is that they have their own time-table for change. They don't ask parents' permission to do something new. Helpless babes silently become strong. One day they shock us by rolling over on their own. Suddenly they are at risk of falling off a bed.

Children don't wait for permission to climb a ladder - as one of our sons did at age 2, surprising Terry when he joined him on the carport roof.

Sudden changes like this can be stressful for parents. What will the child be up to next!?

At the other end of life's spectrum, changes occur, too - some slow, others shockingly sudden.

When I visit my mother in her nursing home these days, I often notice some change - a loss... She can no longer do something she could six months before. Last time I visited, she fell asleep in the middle of our conversation - and it was only 10 am!

I struggle... It's hard to watch someone near you go downhill. She takes these changes more or less in stride. I stand by and watch. For some reason, if I talk about it, I often find myself in tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment