Friday, January 1, 2016

Living in Hope

I enjoyed the "journey in hope" that my advent meditations brought me last month.One of the readings gave me a sense of hope, even though I'm still trying to figure out what it means in a practical sense.

Henri Nouwen writes: I have found it very important to try to let go of my wishes and instead to live in hope. When I choose to let go of my sometimes petty and superficial wishes and trust that my life is precious and meaningful in the eyes of God, something really new, something beyond my own expectations begins to happen for me...

Does he pray: "I give up, God... I just give up... Do what You want in my life"?

The idea that God would do something new and beyond my expectations in my life is very compelling, especially at my age and in retirement. I often find myself thinking that I'm "too old" to try this or that new thing.

Thinking that God would do something new and meaningful even now in my life is a thought I'd like to keep in mind throughout this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment