Sunday, March 15, 2015

Some Thoughts on Change...

This past winter has been a season of change. I have finally (after 7 years of retirement) spent time seriously sorting through things we rarely use anymore, giving - or throwing - them away. Slowly the house is feeling a little airier.

I'm getting ready for a new season in my life, as well. I need to make time - and space - for new hobbies and interests. Our house is overflowing with things from the past.  I want to look ahead.

Time to say goodbye to some dreams (and files in my filing cabinet). One dream (and file) was "teaching overseas." I'm not sure I want to teach anymore. Instead, I'd like to continue learning art. Perhaps write a little more, too - though this blog keeps me writing every day.

I recently came across a quote by George Bernard Shaw, a Victorian writer whose humor I love: The only man I know who behaves sensibly, Shaw writes, is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew each time he sees me. The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them.

It's easy to forget that we all change - and grow - every day! (Even in retirement!)




No comments:

Post a Comment