Saturday, December 6, 2014

Pottery Tongue Test

Pottery is an ancient craft... And some techniques have trickled down through the ages.


For example, when I asked an experienced potter whether she thought my fish platter had been bisque fired or not, she replied: Stick your tongue on it.

Stick my tongue on it? Was she serious?! Was it even safe to lick it?! 

Seeing my disbelief, she quickly explained: After bisque firing, your tongue should stick to it.

Really?!


Unless it has been fired at a very high temperature, another long-time potter added. Another test is to put your cheek against it. If it feels cold, it hasn't been fired yet.

So much to learn!!



My tongue did stick to it - and it felt rough, not cold against my cheek.

It must be ready for glazing.

I dipped it in liquid glaze. You'd never know it from its colors now, but half should come out turquoise; the other half blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment