Sunday, April 13, 2014

Thinking of Palm Trees

Today is Palm Sunday. It will have new meaning for me this year.


I spent a lot of time admiring palm trees on my recent vacation. They were all around us.

.









I loved to watch them - strong and yet so delicate - blowing in the wind.

In Israel, there are palm trees, too, more commonly found in hot desert areas, like this beach beside the Dead Sea.

 








I don't recall any in the Jerusalem neighborhood where I lived - though I did notice a row of them growing along a wall of the Old City, near where Jesus would have come down from the Mount of Olives to go into the temple area. (A parking lot today!)

Majestic and beautiful, palms have become one of my favorite trees! (Why am I surprised to discover that there are over 2000 different kinds?!) In ancient times, they were a symbol of victory, peace and fertility.

When I hear about them at church today, I will have a lot of personal images in my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment