Saturday, December 1, 2012

Field Trip

I have fond memories of going on school field trips with my children as a parent volunteer... Getting on a school bus with the class, going to a pumpkin patch one fall. Skating on the Rideau Canal one winter.














And going to a "sugar shack" to see the production of maple syrup in the woods early one spring.














Recently I volunteered again - to go on a field trip of a different kind! A few days after Remembrance Day my mother's nursing home traditionally organizes a field trip to Ottawa's war museum. My mother was keen to go along.














Our school bus had been outfitted with a wheelchair lift.














We mingled with other museum visitors - mostly high school students on history class field trips - and enjoyed a guided tour... (Here our guide is telling us about these replicas of statues at the Vimy Memorial in France.) Then we had lunch in the museum cafeteria.

Did you have a good time? I asked my mother, when we were heading back.

Yes, it was very interesting, she replied. It's good to do something different - but not too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment