Saturday, September 15, 2012

Delicious Low-Fat, Low Cal Bran Muffins

I used to make these low-cal* muffins a lot. The recipe is from a cookbook given to me when I was first married...



















Mother's in the Kitchen (a La Leche League cookbook) has a lot of wonderful recipes!

Here's the recipe for Dark Moist Bran Muffins (p. 126).














 1. Mix the following dry ingredients together:
  • 2 cups (500 mL) of whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of pure bran
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspooons (4 mL) of baking soda
2. Add the liquid ingredients:
  • 2 cups (500 mL) of buttermilk, sour milk or  yogurt
  • 1/2 cup (or 8 tablespoons or 125 mL) of dark molasses
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) melted butter or cooking oil
3. Mix together. The batter will be slightly runny.















4. Optional: Add 1/2 a cup of raisins (I didn't this time.)

5. Fill 18 muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees F. (degrees C) for 20-25 minutes.















 My modifications: 
I didn't have any whole wheat flour on hand, so I used a cup (250 mL) each of unbleached white flour and spelt flour plus 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of psyllium for added fiber.














My family doesn't particularly like raisins, so I made the first 12 plain, but added a chopped up pear to the remaining batter and baked 6 with pear, plus a dash of sugar and cinnamon on top. They were delicious!














 *I once calculated the caloric value of the batter and came up with 109 calories per muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment