Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spring at Sunlight Gardens Nursery

Terry and I recently visited Sunlight Gardens Nursery, an organic nursery specializing in day lilies.














It was fun to take the 40-minute drive to Middleville, Ontario on a sunny spring day!














Terry used to work with one of the owners - who often gave us gifts of plants. So I was anxious to view the nursery for myself.














Fortunately we had written directions, as our Garmin GPS didn't recognize a place named Middleville! (It's near Almonte, which Garmin does recognize!)














The nursery consists of an acre of plants behind their home.














Caring for them is a labor of love!














Nancy showed me around the beds... Then she dug up some herbs for me to take home. She couldn't resist sharing!














I wish I could remember the names of all the plants!














Spring flowers were in bloom. I did recognize the irises - as I have a few in my garden. Nancy gave me a small (short) iris plant to take home.














I was fascinated by the many varieties of mint they grew - apple mint, chocolate mint, and spearmint... to name a few. I didn't know mint came in so many flavors!














After a tour of the grounds and a relaxing chat...














... we returned home with more plants than we had planned to get, among them different varieties of mint and day lilies...














Seeing the plants in beds - rather than in pots on a store shelf - made me want to create a little city nursery like theirs behind my home!

They invited us to return in July when their mid-summer flowers are in bloom. I hope we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment