Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Steamboat Cruise in Muskoka














I have loved boating ever since I lived in the Okanogan Valley - and our family had a motor boat. I no longer own a boat, but every year I still like to take at least one cruise. This year, we were lucky enough to take two!

A few weeks ago, Terry and I took a 1000 Islands boat tour to Boldt Castle, in the St. Lawrence River.

Then last week, with leaves changing color, we drove to the region known as the Muskokas, north of Toronto, to enjoy the fall colors and to have lunch aboard a steamship that sails out of Gravenhurst, Ontario.

It's a destination I've wanted to visit for a long time... ever since I first saw it on an hour-long video presentation entitled: Over Canada (I have included the You Tube trailer, which shows the autumn leaves in Ontario, but unfortunately doesn't show the steamships.)














It was a lovely, tranquil trip...














Lunch was great!














Terry and I were kept busy choosing our "favorite cottages"... where we would like to retire!














(We realize, of course, that this is an impossible dream as property is very expensive here!!)














After several hours of peaceful sailing...














... we were buzzed by a low-flying sea plane coming in for a landing!














This exciting moment caught most of us off guard - unless we had cameras in hand, we missed the photo opportunity! We then headed back to port.














It was a lovely trip! Then we continued south to Toronto...














... to spend Canadian Thanksgiving weekend with two of our children.

(But I definitely want to go back!)

No comments:

Post a Comment