Saturday, December 4, 2021

Hearing Aid Update

I didn't know what to expect when I decided to get hearing aids last spring after a second annual hearing test revealed that I no longer heard very high pitches. Though some hearing loss is a normal part of aging, I didn’t feel that I couldn’t hear. One audiologist agreed that I was “borderline” - but mentioned that it’s easier to adjust if one got hearing aids earlier. The brain would readjust.

But what would hearing aids be like?

I have had several surprises!











The first was that I had been talking loudly... (I used my “teacher voice” all the time.) I immediately start talking more softly...











But then came a second surprise: I seem to be allergic to the material the wires and domes are made of.. (Silicone?) 

After several hours, my ear canals would become irritated. As the summer months went by, I became less tolerant of them. So I’ve had to stop wearing them until the irritation in my ears heals and I’m able to get an acrylic mould made to replace them.

Reading about “contact dermatitis” in the ear canal, I discovered that some people are similarly allergic to their ear buds.

The things I’m learning! I had no idea!

I’ve also gained new respect for this wonderfully complex and sensitive part of my body that allows me to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment