Friday, July 25, 2014

Summer Reading

Summers used to be the perfect time for gathering a pile of books around me and spending days on end reading! That was life in my carefree childhood! But, as I got older, summers became too busy. In fact, the concept of "summer reading" is a little foreign to me these days.


But a friend recently suggested a book I might like: a "memoir" about a Canadian woman's personal quest to see if - in retirement - she should pursue a second "career" as a nun. In the book she stays in four monastic communities for various periods of time. The first is a month-long stay in the convent of the (Anglican) Sisters of St. John the Divine in Toronto, a place I have visited for several weekend conferences.

You have been there, so I thought of you when I read it, my friend Janet told me. You might find it interesting.

Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down! It was both informative and funny.




I was nearing the end when I checked out other books the author has written. One is a "midlife misadventure on Spain's Camino de Santiago de Compostela."

A few months ago, I wouldn't have given the title a second thought, but at a recent retirement party for a former colleague, the new retiree mentioned that her retirement plans included doing this pilgrimage.

I was intrigued! So I have now bought a second Jane Christmas book. I may as well be entertained while learning more about the pilgrimage. (It's also fun to return to my childhood practice of reading everything I can find written by an author whose books I enjoy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment