Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Power of ... Just Hanging In!

You haven't been doing your "spiritual reflections" on Sundays, Terry tells me. I miss them.

Really?! It's not that I haven't been reflecting. It's just that I'm struggling to put into words some of the things I've been thinking about...!

Like the words of Esther de Waal: "...life is, inevitably, for much of the time, far from ideal, and ... we have to live with that reality: a less than wonderful marriage, a house that is far from spacious and beautiful, a job that is not really rewarding and fulfilling. So how do I handle the frustrations? the limitations? the disappointments? Trivial everyday misery can be the most deadening..."

There was a time in my life when I would have used unhappiness as motivation to seek out a new path - a new career, perhaps, or a new place to live. But somewhere down the line, I realized that nothing is perfect all the time.

So now I am drawn to the Benedictine approach of accepting these trials, perhaps not eagerly, but in the hope that "acceptance will make them life-giving rather than life-denying, surely one of the more difficult things simply because it is so undramatic."

No comments:

Post a Comment