Thursday, June 20, 2013

What's In Bloom in Mid-June?

This year's abundant rain has been great for the flowers - and weeds - in our flower beds. In fact, I often have to do some serious weeding in order to see the flowers!














This lavender was hidden among some tall weeds until my daughter noticed it and together we tugged out the stubborn stalks that were blocking the purple flowers from view.














The day lilies are also blooming - but again I need to get out there and pull out the weeds hiding them.














The peonies are blooming and look gorgeous... until a rainfall "messes" them up.













 
These carnations were lovely last week - but this week they look like their season is over.














The Persian cornflowers are in bloom.














With all the rain, the some of the irises are (surprisingly) still around.














Amid the gout-weed (also in bloom) are these pretty purple flowers that look blue in the early morning light.














(I still haven't discovered their name.)














The clematis next to the back deck has lovely flowers.














The branches were so dry in early spring that I thought they had died! Fortunately, I was wrong.

In my ruthless weeding, I wonder if I've removed flowers I planted last year. My mother used to say: Weeds are plants in the wrong place. They may have been innocently growing among tall weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment