Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Money Often Costs Too Much

"Money often costs too much."

This quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson brought to mind things that money cost in my life...

The biggest thing it cost was time - spending it in ways that weren't really what I wanted to do.

The amazing thing about money is that it can expand or contract, according to our wants. Obviously we all have needs, but our wants usually far exceed them. For a long time, in my early working years, I had very little surplus money to spend on wants. I remember once, after paying my rent and putting aside money for food and other necessities, I realized that I could afford to buy a book - or a blouse that month. I had wanted both.

(I don't remember which I bought!)

It is good to go through tough financial times, if only to practice differentiating between wants and needs. Then when life tricks us into believing our "needs" exceed our budget, we can step back and see the big picture, hopefully realizing it when the money we are after costs too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment