Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Walking Down Memory Lane: Ottawa U

Terry had an appointment downtown, so I decided to go along and spend some time walking around a different neighborhood for a change. (The joys of being retired!)



We parked near the University of Ottawa, so I decided to wander around the campus where I taught part-time for many years.

What distinguishes Ottawa U from other universities in the city is its bilingualism: courses are offered in English and French.







It is also located in a popular downtown neighborhood, where it blends in with other non-campus buildings. I shared an office in this building (above). It could pass for a home - which it, no doubt, once was.








One of the oldest buildings at the university is Tabaret Hall, pictured above. I only remember teaching one course there, but we would often give new students placement tests in one of its large lecture halls.

When I think of this building, with its marble foyer and its lovely winding staircase...







... its gorgeous skylight...












... and the maple leaf tile border around its impressive pillars - I can't help but wonder how people managed before the advent of elevators!










The building I was most familiar with was the administration building for the Second Languages Institute where I had my first job interview... and numerous staff meetings afterwards.










It hasn't changed much over the years - although its name has changed...










When I started to teach English to foreign students at Ottawa U (when my now-grown daughter was a year old), my first classroom was in Simard Hall...


The building also houses the language labs used in all language courses for reading, listening and pronunciation practice. In the early years, students would sit in individual cubicles with individual tape recorders, microphones and head sets. With innovations in technology, the language labs changed too. The last time I taught there, students all had individual computers with internet access - and were tempted to check their emails - and spend a few minutes reading non-English newspapers online - before doing their assigned work!










No visit to the university would be complete without a quick visit to the bookstore located near the library...











... to see what textbooks are now being used...














... and to admire the latest t-shirts.












I couldn't resist buying a notebook ... (You can never have too many notebooks!) ... before heading back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment