Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Listening to God

I pray a lot - asking God for wisdom and health, good jobs for my children, and whatever concerns happen to be on my mind at any given time. Sometimes I pray for for friends - or even strangers, people I read about in the news, or see on TV.

For quite a few years ago now, I have been writing my prayers down in a journal. I look back on these pages from time to time. Often I am amazed at how quickly a certain prayer has been answered - but at other times I sadly wonder why - in spite of my prayers - nothing seems to change.

One thing I don't do enough is sit quietly and listen to God. (This, I think, is the heart of Christian meditation.)

Which is why sometimes God has had to step in and just talk to me to make me listen...

When I say "talk to me," I don't mean in an audible voice - but put a thought into my heart. (By "heart" I mean my emotions and my mind.)

Let me give an example:

We bought the house we live in 27 years ago when we had one small baby, so at the time, the house seemed very large. Eventually our family grew to three children with lots of toys (as well as two parents with lots of books). Soon our home was overflowing with stuff... So I began to look around the neighborhood for a bigger house. I loved our current one, but it just seemed too small.

Please, please God - show us a bigger house that we can afford - so that everyone will have enough room, was my prayer.

But nothing seemed to happen... Then one day I was sitting at my desk, writing down this prayer, wondering why God - who had provided us with this lovely home, hadn't shown us a bigger one. I may even have been a little frustrated and asked, God, what are You waiting for?!

When a thought dropped gently into my mind - Simplify your life...

What? Is that your answer? You're not going to provide another house...?!

Simplify your life... The message was clear.

Are you saying that this house is big enough?!

Why do I think it was God speaking to me, instead of my own imagination? Because it was the last thing I wanted to hear... yet in my heart it felt absolutely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment