Thursday, June 23, 2011

Relaxing... at an OUTDOOR SPA

I'm not a spa person... Or so I thought - until I recently spent a day at a spa in the woods of Chelsea, Quebec, a 15-minute drive from Ottawa.














The day at the spa was a birthday gift for my daughter from one of her brothers, who invited me to come along.














Several Christmases ago, he gave us the gifts of facials, manicures and pedicures at a downtown spa. But this was very different. The focus of this day away was RELAXATION.

Why do I need that? I wondered... After all, I'm retired! Won't I be bored spending a day wandering from pool to pool (some hot, some cold) or sitting in a sauna...














I wasn't sure I could handle that much inactivity - or silence. (The spa requests that guests refrain from loud talking: silence, or whispered conversation only.) So I took a book to read (which I never opened!)














It was a truly relaxing experience!

My favorite places were the hot pools, especially this one with a waterfall...














And a Finnish (dry-air) sauna. I didn't even venture into the second (steamy) sauna that my daughter loved.














I also enjoyed relaxing in one of the outdoor fire pit rooms, where I sat and looked at the trees...

There were no distracting noises: silence... (I didn't realize how relaxing SILENCE can be!)

We had no mud baths or facials... or massages. (They have to be booked in advance, and we were too late.)














We did, however, enjoy a gourmet lunch.

Seven hours after we arrived, we reluctantly left... It had been a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment