Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mistakes that Lead to Growth

I have been reflecting on a sentence I came across in the book, The Rule of Benedict, by Joan Chittister.

Commenting on Benedict's ideal for a monastic leader, she writes:

Like Christ, this leader does not lead with brute force. This leader understands the leavening process... [and] gives people the opportunities to make the mistakes that lead to growth.

As I pause at that line, the teacher - and the parent - in me asks: What mistakes lead to growth?

Learning math, as a child, I made mistakes... But the mistakes I made were different every year, as I progressed from one grade to the next, and the math got harder... So the mistakes are different - more complex as I grow. But they built on the basics - so I can't forget the basics!

But sometimes I slip back and make basic errors... I write "here" when I mean "hear" or I think that 8 times 7 is 54, not 56... So I really do have to watch out for my known weaknesses.

But especially I need to be generous with myself and allow myself to make mistakes... (Why do I think that somehow I need to be perfect all the time! Why do I think that's even possible?!)

As a teacher, I remember students who were afraid to make mistakes... so they were immobilized, afraid to try, and consequently didn't learn...

So I, too, am the learner, and remnants of the child in me (the "oldest" child, who was expected to be perfect as an example to the younger) struggles to balance Jesus' command to "be perfect" with his admonitions to "love" and "forgive"...?

Perhaps I need to lighten up, realizing that I'm just a humble learner here. (Why, I don't even know the curriculum!)

Of course, I'll make mistakes. We all make mistakes... But if I maintain an eager spirit, willing to learn... my teacher (God) will keep me on track!

And as a teacher - parent - friend, I need to keep that in mind towards others, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment