Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Limiting My View

I used to enjoy drawing... So I recently bought some pencils and a sketch pad, hoping to get back into it again.














The kit came with a little black square, with a smaller square cut out of the center: a little frame, a minimizing viewer... to help the artist focus on some small part of a large panoramic view.














As I use it to look around me, focusing on small details of the big picture, it occurs to me that big pictures discourage me: the house too big to organize, the desk too cluttered to be a productive work space... I am easily distracted and overwhelmed.














But if I limit my view, focusing on some small part of the big picture, I can deal with that. I am able to accomplish something.... (not everything - but something).

And another day, something more...

The frame also reminds me not to despise small tasks: the tiny details have a beauty I miss when I quickly survey the big picture.

1 comment: