Friday, June 10, 2011

Easy Success?

Falling in love at first sight... and living happily ever after...
Finding the perfect job, being challenged and appreciated - and rising (easily) to the top...

We all want - and expect - EASY success... But life doesn't always bring it our way.

Like many, I find myself asking (again and again): Why is life so hard?! Why is it taking so long?! Should I give up?

So these words of William Barclay encourage me:

All life is based on the fact that anything worth getting is hard to get. There is a price to be paid. Scholarship can be bought only at the price of study; skill in any craft or technique can be bought only at the price of practice; eminence in any sport can be bought only at the price of training and discipline. The world is full of people who have missed their destiny because they would not pay the price. No one can take the easy way and enter into glory or greatness; no one can take the hard way and fail to find these things.

In the words of Eddie Cantor, a popular entertainer in my parents' generation: "It takes 20 years to become an overnight success."

To that, I add: "And sometimes more...!"

4 comments:

  1. They encourage me too - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone once said (of a marriage): "I'm in it for the long haul." I think that's the only attitude that succeeds in any endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring words Mrs. Hutchins.
    I hope all the young people who still have 20 or more years ahead of them heed this advice, put in the time and patiently wait for their turn.
    Regards,
    Joe Grella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment. In some things, there are no short-cuts.

    ReplyDelete