Monday, June 20, 2011

Plants that Didn't Last

I came across this gardening journal I started the year I decided to fill our front yard with flowers instead of grass.














The previous dry summer had damaged our grass - which I refused to water. Why not plant flowers instead, surrounding them with rocks to hold moisture in?














So in 2004 I planted a small tree - a snow fountain cherry (prunus snow fountain) and proceeded to surround it with flowers and ornamental grass.














As I look at the labels I kept, I am reminded that a number of plants I bought didn't survive the first few years - Maiden Grass, Blue Fescue and Japanese Blood Grass.

Also a delphinium plant. (Was the soil wrong? Or simply the location?)














But, as I look at a rough sketch of that first garden bed - I am reminded of other things too: Some of the daisies were the gift of a colleague, Soo, whom I haven't seen in years... (I'm not sure which ones - I bought some daisies as well.)














The garden has grown a lot over the years! Here's what it looks like this morning.














And yes, these pink flowers I was wondering about, are pink carnations, according to my map. I'm glad they're still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment