Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Grandpa Skips!

My father was an agile man. The only person in the family who could do a head-stand, he was still able to entertain my children with this feat as he approached the age of 80.














(Unfortunately I have no pictures...)

He was visiting us one summer, when my daughter was 8 or 9, and he watched her and her friends play jump-rope, two girls holding the ends of the rope, while the third and fourth jumped in and skipped.














Eventually one of the girls had to go home, so my daughter asked Grandpa if he would hold the rope in her place, and he complied... (Strange, but I can't imagine him ever doing that when I was a child!)

After he had been turning the rope for a few minutes, it was time to change...

Grandpa, now it's your turn to skip, my daughter informed him...

So he did!

When he had finished and was turning the rope again, he asked my daughter: Does your Dad ever skip with you?














She looked at him in surprise... My Dad skip? Of course not, Grandpa, he's TOO OLD!

(Needless to say, this became his favorite "grandpa" story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment