Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Discovering Skype

I first heard of Skype about 10 years ago when a student from Kuwait told me he spoke with his wife back home every day for free via the internet. I was amazed: Really?! Was technology really allowing us to do that?! Why had I never heard about it before?

Then skeptical: It seems too good to be true... (Is it legal?!!)

I didn't hear about Skype again for a few years... This time one of my sons mentioned talking to friends overseas... and seeing their faces as they talked... (Like a "picture" phone? I asked... Where you have to comb your hair before talking?!)

I still had a hard time imagining it...














But I recently saw Skype in action... as my son talked with his girlfriend in England, using the internet and a wireless computer...

There she was, an eight-hour flight away... and as they talked (and I talked to her), there was a pause of only about two seconds between questions and answers... (How fast are those waves moving?!)

I suddenly felt very out-of-touch with this modern technological world. It awes me... I don't understand it and it boggles my mind... (In that way, resembling my FAITH in God...)

And although my son has set up a Skype account for me, I still haven't tried it... (A little like the first time I used a computer... I feared that by pressing the wrong button, I would "break" it!)

But when I get over my fear, I'll find it hard to make "ordinary" phone calls again!

No comments:

Post a Comment