Saturday, June 18, 2011

Orange Sponge Cake - A Recipe

I haven't posted many recipes recently, as I haven't been baking. But I recently came across this low-calorie sponge cake that looked interesting... (It's about 100 calories a slice.)

I found it in Anne Lindsay's Smart Cooking Cookbook, which appears to currently be out of print. I still prefer Terry's grandmother's sponge cake recipe, but this one - with its faint orange flavor - is a nice change.


















Here's the recipe (in my words):














1. Separate 4 eggs and beat the whites until they stand in firm peaks.














2. Then beat the egg yolks together with
  • 3/4 cup (175 mL) of sugar and
  • 1/2 a cup (125 mL) of orange juice.
3. Add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of baking powder and 1 cup (250 mL) of white flour to the egg yolk mixture and continue beating until it is well blended.














4. Fold the egg whites into the yolk batter.

5. Pour into an ungreased tube and bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (or 160 Celsius).














Turn the cake upside down to cool... I usually put it on a cup to help the cake cool evenly.














Carefully remove the cake.














The recipe suggests sprinkling a teaspoon or two (5-10 mL) of icing sugar on the cake instead of icing it. A glaze of icing sugar and orange juice would be nice too...














But we enjoyed it as is! For a stronger citrus taste, one could add a little grated orange peel to the batter.

If you like sponge cake, it's definitely worth a try. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Do I recognize your old sirpelli (sp)? I brought ours to Canada, but seldom if ever used it, and actually got rid of it in our last move. I 'inherited' something similar from Mom, and keep telling myself I will use it for its original intended purpose. What a piece of nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's it. One of these days I plan to devote a whole blog post to it!

    Lots of nostalgia, as it was my "oven" for so many years. I still use it for sponge cakes.

    ReplyDelete