Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Coasters

I'm not planning to do a lot of Christmas baking this year. (If I make cookies, I eat too many!)

Wanting to create a simple hostess gift, I decided to try a non-edible option: a set of four Christmas coasters.

I have lots of leftover fabric with Christmas motifs.














(When I started to quilt, I made things for Christmas, like this little table runner. So I have lots of scraps.)

I cut four 5.5 inch (12.7 cm) squares of Christmas fabric, four of plain green fabric (for the back), as well as four soft flannel squares for the middle - to make the coasters a little more cushy...














I laid them one on top of the other, and machine stitched several rows of quilting around them to hold the layers together.


















Then I trimmed the edges with pinking shears. I'm not sure how they will weather a washing... Perhaps they will fray.

Wondering if I should have finished the edges, I made a second set of coasters a different way.














Cutting the three fabrics into slightly larger 6-inch (15.4 cm) squares to accommodate a seam, I sewed around three sides, then turned the tiny "pillow cases" inside out, tucking in the fourth side and machine sewing it shut.














Then I quilted the layers with several rows of machine stitching to make them flat.














Now I have two sets of Christmas coasters. I'm not sure which I like best!

No comments:

Post a Comment