Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 1 in London

Day 1 in London: After an overnight flight, we arrive in London. Leaving our bags at the hotel, we head out...














We don't want to waste even a minute of our time here!














The day is cloudy, but we are prepared... I'm wearing a raincoat and carrying my trusty fold-up umbrella.














Following our map, we head towards Trafalgar Square under overcast skies...


















I can't believe I'm really here!














Not far away, we hear Big Ben strike one!














Is that the British Parliament Buildings or a church? we wonder...

Later, on a bus tour I discover that... yes, it was the British Parliament!














As we walk, we come across so many lovely old buildings...














Like this one... The Admiralty Arch - designed in 1911 to honor Queen Victoria (according to my tour book)... So it's not all that old.














My map tells me that the road passing through the arches leads to Buckingham Palace... Should we go there...? No, it's probably too far to walk...














So we keep going, fascinated by all we see...














Like this horse guard outside the Horse Guard Parade, King Henry VIII's tournament ground...














Not far away, a group of people have gathered... Going over, I discover why. It's Downing Street (blocked off by a metal fence)...














...where British Prime Ministers have lived since 1732.














Every time we have to cross a street, I'm a little anxious...














Cars drive on the left side of the road... Will we look the right way for oncoming traffic?!














Fortunately there are a lot of one-way streets!














We keep walking... past a park... and then... There it is!














Buckingham Palace! We didn't think we'd make it this far! We start to head over to the gates when...














... a sudden downpour of rain begins!

There is no shelter anywhere... No place to stand and wait... No cafes to duck into...

My umbrella is useless against the downpour... Soon my shoes are soaking wet!














I put my camera away hoping it won't get wet... And we head back in the general direction of our hotel. (The google map I've printed up tells me it's an hour's walk!)


















We are almost there when the rain stops... I ask my son to take a picture... A reminder of Day 1 in London... I'm soaked from my shoes up past my knees!

3 comments:

  1. great sites! awful about the pants though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a dedicated traveler - rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few degrees cooler and it would have been very uncomfortable. As is, we managed - but I was glad to have extra (dry) shoes in my suitcase!

    ReplyDelete