Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Whatever Happened to PAPER Clothing?

When I was in my teens, I watched a fashion show on TV, astounded that the attractive clothing worn by the models was made of ... paper!

Paper clothing is the way of the future, the announcer informed us.

No need to wash and wear... Just wear and toss!

Clothing made of paper would be useful on a long trip - take along a large package of disposable paper t-shirts and socks - and toss (or recycle) them once they're dirty! The suitcase space opened up by the dwindling supply of disposable clothing could be well-used for souvenirs purchased en route.

So practical...

I did (almost) have another encounter with paper clothing... A few years back, I took a weekend trip with my daughter. We didn't realize the hotel we would be staying in had a swimming pool, so we didn't bring our bathing suits.

No problem, the front desk clerk informed us. You can buy disposable bathing suits in the pool area.

Made of paper?

Yes.

I thought for a moment - and the worst-case-scenario flashed before my eyes: a paper bathing suit disintegrating in the water... I decided to decline the offer.

Actually, there is one place where I do encounter paper clothing... at the lab where I get x-rays and ultrasounds done.














And it falls apart so easily, I know my decision not to try a paper bathing suit was the right one!

2 comments:

  1. Maison Martin Margiela recently came out with some paper fashions - that apparently are treated in such a way as to be durable/wearable:
    http://jakandjil.com/blog/?p=5087

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! So the concept may still be alive - and useful to travelers.

    ReplyDelete