Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 5: Is it Really Good-Bye??














My time in London was almost over. Time to tie up loose ends! My 48-hour tour bus pass would expire soon, so I wanted to go around again. (After all, some of the streets had been blocked the day of the Lord Mayor's Show.)














It was a picture-perfect day for a bus ride!














No rain clouds in sight!














We crossed several of the bridges that span the Thames River...














Saw the British Parliament from a bridge...














And again across the river......














We all snapped pictures of the Tower of London (where the crown jewels are kept)...














Saw the new City Hall... (which resembles a bee hive... or a wasps' nest!)














Two other monuments that stood out to me were the Animals in War Memorial... The statue of a horse reminds me that animals were widely used in war before motor vehicles were invented... But other animals were used too. Dogs... And even fire-flies: Before flashlights, soldiers at night read maps by fire-fly light! (How times have changed!)














Another interesting monument we had a good view of from the top of the double-decker bus was this statue of peace descending from heaven into the chariot of war, causing the horses to rear up. It stands atop Constitution Arch in Hyde Park.

My head spinning from all I had seen, I decided to get off the bus and return to the shopping area near Regent Street.














I went back to Liberty of London and examined this quilted table-runner... Should I buy a packet of fabric to make a similar one?














In the end, I did!














Then I wandered back to the hotel, passing the toy store that had crowds in front of it the previous day...














Today there was a costumed lady blowing bubbles...














On to Chinatown...














Past its big arch...














Past the Poker Club that brought me to London!

And back to my hotel to pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment