Monday, November 15, 2010

A Distant Memory

I've heard that smell is the most powerful of our five senses...

Taste ranks pretty high up there for me too!

Years ago (in high school) a friend gave me a piece of a family favorite: noodle cake. (I had never heard of it before!)














After making fresh noodles and cooking them, they used some for noodle cake, adding milk, eggs and raisins - enough to cover the noodles... Then baking it. It's similar to bread pudding, but made with pasta instead of bread.

Recently we had some left-over pasta. Remembering that cake, I decided to give it a try.

I put the pasta in a pie plate and poured a mix of eggs and milk over it. Then I tossed in some raisins - adding no extra sugar - and baked it for about half an hour...

It did taste similar to the cake I remember! Perhaps the fresh pasta in my friend's version made the difference. Next time, I'll cut the pasta into smaller pieces.

But I really liked it!

Come to think of it, a mixture of eggs and milk is the basis of so favorite dishes... French toast, bread pudding... and now noodle cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment