Monday, July 14, 2014

Query, the Game

In 2002, when I first self-published my spelling workbook, a teenage friend of my son's wanted to know how I had done it. He had created a board game and wanted to make copies to sell. We discussed how he might go about it but, to my knowledge, it was never produced. Back in the day before Shark Tank and Dragon's Den, TV reality shows that encourage people to present entrepreneurial ideas to potential investors, creating it and selling a board game seemed a formidable task.



So I found it interesting when one of my sons recently introduced me to a game that had been invented - and produced - by several of his wife's cousins. I'm not sure how they went about creating the product - but it is a fun game to play - and it is for sale on Amazon.








A guessing game, Query is based on internet search engines and the way common options are auto-filled as a person types. For example, if I do a Google search and start typing "Why do..." - four common questions pop up automatically: Why do we dream? Why do we yawn? Why do people smoke? Why do cats purr?






The game involves guessing one of the four top options. It was fun to play - though I (of course!) wanted to change some of the rules! 










 It made us think!

It didn't take long to finish a round... (unlike Monopoly and Risk, which can go on for days!) And, best of all, it creates that cozy inter-generational feeling of camaraderie that favorite board games often do.

No comments:

Post a Comment