Tuesday, July 22, 2014

One Banana Muffins*

I recently had one over-ripe banana - not enough to make my favorite banana bread. I did an online search for "1 banana bread" - and was surprised to see several recipes pop up. I tried this one from serenitynowblog...

I blended all the dry ingredients together:
  • 375 ml (1 1/2) cups of flour. I used 125 ml (1/2 cup) each of unbleached white flour, spelt flour and soy flour, which increases the protein content.
  • 250 ml (1 cup) white sugar - next time I would lower that to 200 ml (3/4 cup).
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking soda
  • 3 ml (half a teaspoon) of cinnamon
 To this dry mixture I added the ripe banana, broken up, mixing till it resembled crumb topping.



Next I mixed together the liquid ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • enough milk to the egg to make 250 ml (a cup) of liquid
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) of olive oil (which I used instead of butter).
(Next time, I'll use 2 eggs and less milk to see what difference that makes.) Mix the liquid into the dry.



Once blended, pour into muffin tin, making 12 muffins.

The Serenitynow blogger recommended buttering the pan liberally, but I used my silicone muffin tins - which need no buttering or greasing. I let the muffins cool completely in the pans, and they all came out fine.

* The muffins were delicious! But given the high ratio of sugar to flour in this recipe, I would think of them more as banana cupcakes than muffins, which usually have less sugar. For anyone who cares about these things, here is the nutritional breakdown of the muffins as I made them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment