Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Flower or...?

I was puzzled by two plants growing in my garden, so when I noticed my neighbor Rob (our resident plant expert) out walking his dog, I grabbed paper and a pen and went outside.


Rob, is this a flower or a tree?

(The last time I asked him the name of a plant, he told me it was a tree planted by squirrels!)













I won't know for sure until it blooms, but it looks like a Japanese Anemone. We have one in our yard. Come over and take a look.

(I should have blocked out the daisies behind the plant with a sheet of white paper, like we do when drawing a flower.)











What about this? Is it a flower or a weed? I asked pointing to this mass of mauve bells.  I see them everywhere in the neighborhood. They're pretty, but I suspect they are a weed.

My mother used to call them Blue Bells of Scotland, but they're Rampant Campanula. If you pull them out, they multiply more. 
 
I couldn't find any online references to Rampant Campanula - but I did check out the Ontario wildflower site and came across a flower called "Creeping Bellflower" (also known as Campanula rapunculoides). That's what it looks like to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment