Sunday, July 13, 2014

God is Present...

Occasionally I have to share what I have been reading! Here is one of those times:

"There is no event so commonplace but that God is present within it."*

What a wonderful way to live, this recognition of God in everything! Think of how this would enrich our daily life were we to seek, to really look for, and to trust the presence of God in even the smallest detail of our lives. We would find comfort in the midst of pain, an even greater joy in happiness, and reserves of energy to do the tasks that fall to us each day, knowing that God is with us as we work. Over and over we would come face to face with our blessedness. On this we would ground our lives: God is present in my life; God has not left me alone; God loves me and Christ is with me.

These quotes come from St. Benedict's Toolbox, a book I am just starting to read. The author has taken the first quote from Now and Then by Frederick Buechner, a book I read and enjoyed a few yeas ago.

My head (and heart) give their assent to these words - but it's a discipline to try to see God in sadness and disappointments. As for God being with us, helping us, in our work - that is a wonderful reminder, especially during these hot summer days when all I want to do is relax. But there is work to be done! So I'm looking for God's help - His "reserves of energy" to help me get through!  

No comments:

Post a Comment