Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pondering

I am slowly reading Kathleen Norris' book, The Cloister Walk. There is a lot to ponder.














Norris, a poet, makes the comment that - in our modern age, we have lost our ability to think metaphorically. (This can be a problem, as the Bible - like poetry - is steeped in metaphor.)

Elsewhere, she writes (in metaphor) that "the ancient monastics recognized that a life of prayer must 'work the earth of the heart'..."

And I (a non-poet, struggling with metaphors)... I am left pondering what the "earth of the heart" might be... Does 'working' this earth mean embracing all of the pain - as well as all the joy - life brings our way?

In my garden, working the earth means digging deep to mix the soil and soften it so plants will grow. How does this happen in me?

No comments:

Post a Comment