Sunday, November 20, 2011

Imaginary God

Our minister, George, recently commented that an imaginary wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend always agrees with us... But a real-life wife, husband or friend often sees things in a different way.

His point was that if God (as we envisage Him) always agrees with us and our ideas... If God doesn't sometimes challenge and disagree with us, we are worshiping an imaginary God - not the real-live living God.

George's words rang true - and I left the service thinking, not only about my real-life husband, but my real-life children, my real-life work, and my real-life friends... (My real-life LIFE!)... All are - at times - challenging... And sometimes (I admit) I do get fed-up and wish everyone would just agree with me! Wouldn't life be perfect if I could have everything my way?!!

But perhaps my attitude towards life (and all the wonderful people in it) is wrong. Perhaps life is meant to be challenging. We grow through challenges...

So maybe - instead of wishing for that wonderful future time when there will be no conflict in my life - I should revel in diversity, thankful that we are all different, constantly challenging each other to learn and grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment