Monday, November 28, 2011

Money Memory

I was recently reading how writing down childhood "money memories" can help us understand our relationship to money.

It made me think... My earliest "money memory" dates back to when I was about four years old and living in small town Alberta (Hay Lakes: population 300 at the time)... And I was often given money by strangers...














(Perhaps I should clarify!) I had recently discovered the value of money... or, more precisely, that a nickel could buy me a small chocolate bar and a penny or two, a few candies in the corner store across the street...

At the time, we lived in a 3-room apartment above my father's garage, so I was often near the garage, or popping in to see what my father was doing.

Somehow I had also discovered that if I asked my father for money when he was at the cash register, and he refused, a customer standing nearby would invariably give "poor me" a nickel or a few pennies!

Then, of course, I would quickly run across the street to discover what my "treasure" could buy!

I'm not sure how that relates to my current relationship with money... (Do I view it as Easy come, easy go?!) I think it reveals more about my personality: That I am not afraid to take matters into my own hands. That I never viewed my father's "No" as final.

Perhaps any "normal child" would have done the same... In that case, it does make me realize how early children can learn to be schemers!

No comments:

Post a Comment