Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking forward? Or Looking back?

January 1st - in the media - is spent looking back on major events of the previous year, and - this year - on memorable events of the decade.

Some cultures celebrate New Year by looking at the year ahead - with symbols used to wish people a HAPPY NEW YEAR. In Israel, the New Year (Rosh Ha-Shana) comes in September or October and January 1st is referred to as "Sylvester." (I'm not sure who St. Sylvester was or why January 1st is associated with him.) But on Rosh Ha-Shana, sliced apples are dipped in honey - then eaten as good luck for a sweet year ahead.

Iranian New Year (No-Ruz) is celebrated on March 21, the first day of spring. It is celebrated with outdoor picnics - where people can enjoy nature beginning to bud.

Several years ago, one of my sons was visiting a friend in Denmark on New Year's Eve. As midnight approached, everyone stood up on chairs, and - when they ran out of chairs, on the sofa! At the stroke of midnight everyone jumped onto the ground. I never did find out why in Denmark it is good luck to be in the air - not on the ground - when New Year arrives!

There are no GOOD LUCK symbols here in Canada for the new year... But we do often plan a new course in life. A New Year offers hope for a NEW BEGINNING and a better year ahead. Like many others, I take time to assess my life's journey - and plan for change.

So ... today as I look back at 2009 - thankful for the year and its many blessings - I also look ahead, thankful for the gifts of MEMORY (which allows me to learn from my mistakes) and HOPE (which encourages me to try, try again!)

And to all who read this - may you also be filled with hope for a BLESSED NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. in denmark, they jump off anything onto the floor because one is supposed to 'jump into the new year'. you should try it next year. there are no age restrictions on tradition.

    aa.

    ReplyDelete