Friday, January 22, 2010

My Kitchen

Sue, in one of the blogs I read, is planning to renovate her cozy kitchen, so I thought I'd post a blog about my kitchen - what we have changed - and what we haven't - in the 28 years we've lived in this house.


















When we were house-hunting, and I first walked into this kitchen, I immediately felt at home. The house I had lived in as a teenager had pine cabinets. So I knew they were something I didn't want to change. I eventually spent several weeks refinishing them (removing the doors, sanding and re-varnishing them). I also cleaned and repainted the door handles - as I couldn't find any that fit the existing holes in the doors. I've always liked to have the microwave on the counter, even though it uses a lot of counter space. I find it the perfect height.


















When we wanted to expand cupboards, we went to Ikea and got some basic white ones, which we installed ourselves. They would be easy to remove and use as storage in the basement, if we ever did redo the whole kitchen. We've gotten used to the open shelves, but if we did add doors, I'd like them to be pine or glass.

We always buy a portable dishwasher, as it provides extra counter space and we don't need to hire a plumber or electrician to install it.


















I'm always on the lookout for racks to help organize our stuff. These are from Ikea.


















I do most of my food preparation to the left of the stove. Extra work space when I bake is provided by the glass-top stove, which is easy to clean.














We still have the original sink and counter-top - and the flooring which was in the house when we bought it. I thought of putting ceramic tiles on the floor, but heard about someone who slipped and fell on her wet tiles, injuring her back - so I decided to stay with what we have.

The worst parts of the kitchen are the two bottom corner cupboards, which have a lot of wasted space at the end. I can't even open the doors all the way in this corner.


















With all its shortcomings, I still love my little kitchen. It's not big enough to eat in - which would be nice - but all in all, it serves us well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene,
    I am certainly not tired of looking at kitchens! I enjoyed seeing yours, as it is actually similar to mine. I love your pine cabinets, and I would be satisfied with shelves like your white ones on the wall where I have the huge silver shelf.

    So, when your dishwasher is running, can you do anything else in your kitchen? Do you have as many electric outlets as you'd like to have?

    Thanks for the link, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it is hard for us to reach things in our lower corner cupboards, too.

    ReplyDelete