Friday, January 8, 2010

Houseplants Cheer Us Up














When I was a child, one of my "jobs" on Saturday was to water my mother's plants. She didn't have all that many - a few African Violets in the living room, as I recall. I remember hating the job and telling myself again and again that when I grew up I would NOT have any plants in my home!














What happened?!

It all changed when I got a home of my own. I started with one spider plant, then planted a grapefruit seed and an avocado seed. And from there my indoor garden just grew...














Now there is barely a room without plants. You even have to maneuver around them in the hall.


















A few days ago, my cousin, Rose-Marie - knowing about my indoor jungle - sent me this online article about the therapeutic value of house plants. Yes, they do make me feel better! Especially now that winter is here - a room with plants makes me forget the cold outside.

4 comments:

  1. Nice close up of the African violet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! African Violets always look so lush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice collection of plants, and I like your pots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I'm always buying new pots - I love the ones that hold lots of water in a compartment in the bottom - because I sometimes forget to water.

    ReplyDelete