Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Laser Eye Surgery (PRK) ... at my age?!

I'm pretty excited this morning. I just came back from my one-month appointment after having had Wavefront Laser Eye Surgery (PRK) 10 days before Christmas. It has been an interesting experience... There were times I was wondering if I should have done it, when the glare of sunlight and even the computer monitor hurt my eyes. And my vision was still pretty blurry (the first few weeks). But my vision has been steadily improving - until today I was told it was 20/25 - without glasses! (Two weeks ago it was 20/40...)

For someone like me, who has worn (and hated wearing) glasses since I was about 9, and who has lived in a blurry fog (of astigmatism and near-sightedness) ... this is a dream come true!

I still have a ways to go - my eyes are still very light sensitive - and my vision will change (or so I'm told) for the next few months... Hopefully it will continue to improve!

I will still need to wear reading glasses - though I currently use a magnifying glass to read books, and CONTROL + on my computer to enlarge the screen images. I have also adjusted power saver to dim the monitor, so that it doesn't hurt my eyes. I was told the light sensitivity should end in another 2 months.

So I'm not there yet... But all in all, I'm pleased.

I kept a diary the first little while - and wondered if I should write a blog entry giving details... (Are there others over 55 who are considering the procedure?)

But for now, I'll just pass on two sites that I found helpful. One I read before having the surgery. The second, a YouTube video, I just watched last night. The girl's experience was a lot like mine.... except, of course, she doesn't need reading glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment