Monday, January 18, 2010

Beginning a New Quilt

I have been planning to make this reversible quilt ever since I saw the one in the picture - at the home of my cousin Maria. Guided by this photo of her quilt and instructions I found online, I have been planning the blue side.














Sometime last year, one of my neighbors gave me all her quilting fabrics. Most were scraps from a men's shirt factory. Although the fabric is thinner than most cotton used for quilting, I think it will work in this quilt, which is machine quilted on a solid backing.














I plan to dig into my own stash of quilting fabric for the yellow side - but will sew the blue side first.














I always get excited when I plan a new quilt... But when I pull out all the fabric and and the creative mess begins, I start to feel overwhelmed. I have to remind myself to break the task down into manageable steps.

A dozen squares wouldn't be so hard to deal with, but large quilts - ones you can wrap yourself up in - are a lot more work. This one will have 54 squares (not 64, like the one in the online instructions). Why? Because I ran out of backing after cutting out 54 squares! Rather than buy more backing, I decided to make it a little smaller. (I think that it will still be big enough for an adult to snuggle under, watching TV.) With 64 squares, the finished quilt would be a square: It would have 8 rows of 8 squares each. My 54 square quilt will have 6 rows of 9 squares each, so it will be a little longer and narrower.














But it does feel good to see my pile of scraps go down, as they are slowly pinned - then sewn - in place, all contributing their individual patterns to a bigger design.

However much I plan, I'm always surprised by how it looks when it is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment