Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

Every New Year's Eve, I think of a woman I once worked with. I don't remember her name, but I remember chatting with her in the office, asking her if she had any special plans.

She told me that she never went out on New Year's Eve: She always spent the evening at home, madly cleaning her house and doing the laundry...

She was apparently superstitious, and believed that whatever state her home was in at the stroke of midnight, was the way it would remain all year long! So she spent the whole evening putting it in order...

So as New Year's Eve approaches, my thoughts turn to her. I always imagine of her rushing around... tidying her house, perhaps glancing from time to time at the TV, as the New Year is rung in in different time zones around the world - panicking, perhaps, as midnight approaches. Will her house will be spotless when the new year arrives here in our Eastern Time Zone?

I don't spend New Year's Eve cleaning, as I'm not superstitious! But - come to think of it -the way my home is at midnight is the way it is all year long!

I like to think of it as "comfortably cluttered"!

No comments:

Post a Comment