Monday, January 11, 2010

Clothing Can Be a PAIN

I remember reading about a man who had suffered back pain for years - going to doctor after doctor - before realizing that the problem was his wallet, which he carried in his back pocket. It was causing him to sit in an unbalanced way, at work and in the car. The result: back pain... until he realized the cause and moved the wallet to a front pocket.

I was reminded of the story because I recently changed handbags - emptying my favorite "summer" bag, putting all my stuff into a larger carrier with lots of zippered compartments. I used to use it back when I was teaching to hold my lunch and all.














I decided to wear it like a back pack - diagonally over my back - while walking to and from Curves, a half hour trek each way.

The evening after my first walk, I had a slight pain in my upper back. The second day, after repeating my trek, the pain was so bad I needed a hot water bottle to ease it...

The following day, I only used it (draped over my arm) while shopping. My lower back ached until I got home.

Could this bag be the problem? (The way it rests on my back?)














Or is it my change purse - which currently weighs 10 ounces (200 grams)! I suspect it is a contributing factor!














Better find another "winter" purse that doesn't hold quite as much!

This isn't the first time that clothing (or accessories) have caused me pain. One winter I left a pair of comfortable (somewhat sloppy) shoes at school - to change into when I arrived wearing my snow boots.

A few months later, my knees hurt so much that I was sure I had developed arthritis.

I went to see my doctor, but discovered an older gentleman was replacing her for a few weeks.

I think it's your shoes, he said. Do you wear them all the time?

I've been wearing them all winter, I replied.

Change them and your pain will go away.

What do you know?
I thought - indignant that he hadn't sent me for an xray.

A few weeks later, I returned. My doctor (who was back) sent me for an xray. The result: No arthritis...

It must be your shoes, my doctor confirmed... Get rid of them!

So I did - and my pain disappeared!

No comments:

Post a Comment