Saturday, January 23, 2021

Enjoying a Walk Downtown

A year ago - before the COVID 19 pandemic arrived in Canada, several times a week Terry and I would head to a large shopping center near our home so that I could "mall walk." Leaving my winter coat and boots with Terry, I'd head off. He enjoyed reading the newspaper and drinking coffee while I tried to reach 10,000 steps on my pedometer. Going around all three floors twice would give me the steps I wanted. Occasionally I'd meet someone I knew - but not very often.

Bayshore Shopping Centre was a lovely, warm place to walk...







We do miss those days of indoor walking - and occasional shopping - while winter winds howled outside.

That all stopped last March...

This year we've been trying to walk outdoors - weather permitting - several times a week. Coffee shops are closed, so Terry can't sit and read. He has to walk with me!

Our walks may be cooler - but they're equally interesting. 

One day last week we headed downtown - again with the idea of walking - and possibly buying fresh bread.  

We parked on a side street near the market.



The weather was brisk as we wandered around By-Ward Market, which was unusually quiet. 







We managed to find a bakery that was open - and buy bread. Then we headed towards the National Gallery - which also looked quite desolate.







The cathedral across the street is always beautiful.








After taking a few pictures of statues commemorating Canadian soldiers from early days until now...






Also Canadian  UN peacekeepers...







Then we continued down Wellington Street.






We paused on the bridge overlooking the Rideau Canal.







Then we headed up towards Parliament Hill - where construction is continuing...

Apart from the construction workers, there were very few people around. Not many tourists... I wonder if MP's and their staff are working from home, like so many others...

A quick look at the eternal flame - then back to the car. I did manage to get in my 10,000 steps that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment